bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
I didn't see the distance of the sprint, any one know what it was? If it was short, the N20 is going to have the advantage like you said but how would the N52 compare in a proper race? That's what I would like to see but still, the 4-cyl N20 is a great engine.
The N20 generates more power across the range, and is 22 lbs lighter than the N52. If you took the same exact car and swapped between the N52 and N20, the N20 is going to win every performance category, with maybe the exception of endurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yallmb View Post
So, I4 was quicker than the I6, I'm cool with that because the factory says that the I4 has 30lb-ft more torque than the I6. However, what's up with the HP ratings? The factory rated them both at 240 HP but the I6 only put out 208 HP at the crank on this particular dyno. Not really liking that. They should both be putting out at least 240 HP at the crank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yallmb View Post
Nope, the previous F10 528i used the N52B30 I6 that put out 240 hp and 230 lb·ft in US trim. Now, if they had said the hp output at the wheels was 208 I would have said "OK, driveline loss" but they actually said that it was 208 hp at the crank which should be 240. So, yeah, I think that they either screwed up the numbers as you said or there is something going on with that dyno or something wrong with the car.
A wheel dyno can't tell you crank HP. You can estimate crank HP, but unless you pull the engine and hook it up to a dyno, you won't know. A wheel dyno is only good for relative comparison. I wish they would have just published the numbers output by the dyno, rather than try to do the math.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0