View Single Post
      05-28-2009, 05:15 PM   #7
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Car magazine ( http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...ew-spy-photos/ ) has snapped up some new pix of the car and gives us a little more indepth information about the car

Quote:
BMW has the luxury of being able to shift subtly the emphasis of the new 5-series Touring. Thanks to the arrival of the new 5-series Gran Turismo – unveiled last week – the new Five estate can fulfil a slightly different role.

Our new spyshots capture the Touring on test in Germany and the disguise is slowly dropping away to reveal the new 5-series sleeker new clothes. Compare the side profile shot with today’s estate: the newcomer has a noticeably faster angle to its tailgate (and a rear end that’s distinctly Audi A6-esque, we should add).

We’ll see the new saloon at the end of 2009 ahead of a motor show debut in spring 2010. Buyers will be able to buy the new 5-series, codenamed F10, in early 2010 with the F11 wagon following in autumn 2010.

How will the new BMW 5-series Touring be positioned?
These photos suggest it’s pretty much business as usual, but there’s the slightest suggestion that the new estate can be marginally sportier than today’s Touring – because the new 5-series GT is so huge inside, with adjustable rear seats, a split tailgate and its unusual tally of 7-series rivalling passenger room and X5 bootspace.

The Touring will keep its separately opening rear window and the usual estate paraphernalia, however.

It certainly looks sleeker than the 5-series GT!
That’s because it is. The Gran Turismo is the more practical, taller 5-series – both the F10 saloon and F11 Touring will be considerably lower and sleeker, according to those who’ve seen the cars.

Check out our previous 5-series scoop for the full engineering story, but here’s a précis of the engines on offer:

• 523i – 2.5-litre straight six
• 530i – 3.0-litre straight six
• 540i – 3.0-litre straight six twin-turbo
• 550i – 4.4-litre V8 twin-turbo
• M5 – 4.4-litre V8 twin-turbo

• 520d – 2.0-litre 4cyl turbo
• 530d – 3.0-litre straight-six turbo
• 535d – 3.0-litre straight-six twin-turbo
Attached Images