View Single Post
      11-11-2012, 06:01 AM   #21
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List

At close to 2.5 tons, the GT is never going to be as fuel efficient as a similar-engined sedan or touring in 520d/530d guise or any petrol-engined motor.

The GT also appears to be quite sensitive to driving style: Huge penalties for driving with a heavy right foot, or rabbitting out of traffic lights, or driving in 'Sport/Sport+' mode in my experience. On the other hand, if you drive in 'Normal' mode, with good anticipation and even driving style; and use a premium-fuel like Shell V-Power, it is known to perform by atleast 15% better; around 34-38mpg in mixed driving with 2 adults and no luggage.

On my usual urban commute [5 miles of start stop traffic with average 20mph traffic], i have got 28mpg driving in Sport mode and up to 30 mpg in Normal mode. On the rare ocassion that I have tried driving consciously for efficiency - to win a bet with a friend, it lasted about 2 days - I got 34 mpg.

On long motorway dashes, at 'usual' UK motorway speeds, it is easy to get 34-38 mpg and I presume this would be better with cruise-control, and 'normal' mode for transmission/drivetrain.

I know how i like to drive, and it is a BMW so we have all signed up to a certain kind of performance and driving response, so I guess you have to come to a balance. I wouldnt buy an Efficient-Dynamics model and anyone here looking for that kind of efficiency will never be happy with the GT. You're better off with the 320d/520d sedan.

The UK market is recognising that small turbo-charged petrol engines are as efficient as diesels and i was interested to see that the 116i is out-selling the diesel models, something that caught BMW by surprise and has lead to long lead times.

Just my 2p.

Appreciate 0