03-16-2011, 02:15 AM   #75
kd6lor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagobertsmurf View Post
FULL LED Headlights [snip]
That's actually coming in March... haha - Just kidding.

Quote:
So you are saying the iDrive technology, the full color HUD, etc. of the 5er when it was released in March of 2010 was outdated and they are only now bringing it up to current tech???
My mistake, I didn't realize they had full color HUD in March 2010. And no, that is not what I am saying. I suppose the best way to put it is I am nostalgic for the good old days when you could buy a car and it would be the same for a model year, not have to regret that if you only had waited a month or two you would have a feature that you may find desirable - one that you would traditionally expect to be released during a model year update.

Quote:
You need to learn more about product development cycles and the associated R&D that goes with it in the automotive, electronic & other related industries.
Actually, I don't. Watching how BMW has changed the 5 series since it's introduction has taught me everything I need to know. I don't particularly care how they do their updates, but that is not their problem, it is mine. And so what? It's just my opinion. I understand the position of the pro-frequent-updates people, I just don't like it, nor do I agree with their positions. Again, no big deal...

[QUOTE=dagobertsmurf;9137961]If the same kind of progress was being made in dental technology then drills, periodontal probes and other tools straight out of the Stone Age would have been replaced by A.I. guided laser beams that work in conjunction with smart nanomaterials to fix, repair and maintain teeth all at the molecular level. [/QUOTE}

Actually that dental technology is available now, it is only used on people who drive 6 and 7 series.

Quote:
Seriously, have you seen the navigation systems in an Acura or a Lexus???They are ancient in comparison to BMW's iDrive, and by your standards of "current tech" Volvo's must have been developed in the late Stone Age or the early Bronze Age.
I have seen and played with most nav systems and to be honest find most of them crap. Wish they would all hire out to Garmin and have highly responsive touch sensitive displays AND an iDrive knob, which I am actually quite fond of unless I am trying to spell a word. Feels like trying to enter your name after winning a high score on an Asteroids video game from the distant past.

Paul