11-12-2019, 08:49 AM   #40
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemulder View Post
still looking for a F10 DIY guide, like the E90..
For instructions on how to clean your evaporator...click the link below...then scroll down to your chassis model & click that link. You can see the complaint & cause (from the TIS) in image below (which is an excerpt) from the top of the page found at the following link:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ioning/2gWSJiy
As mentioned in some posts above...the smell/odor is caused by the growth of bacteria/mold due to condensation. It has nothing to do with the price of the car or other things that were mentioned. It is circumstantial and based on specific conditions. If one puts wet towels in a Gucci or Louis Vuitton bag...close the bag up and leave it for a week...it will smell just as bad as if you had done the same thing tossing wet towels into a bag purchased at Walmart.

To stop the stink...you have to stop doing what causes the growth of bacteria and mold. It was mentioned multiple times to stop the AC early and let the HVAC blower run...this can work and help dry up excess condensation. But if it is extremely humid/hot...that's difficult to do. In those cases, I recommend using a feature your BMW has...it is the park-car ventilation feature. You can run the HVAC blower for up to 30 minutes after shutting down the car. This has worked for me for decades (even my e32 735iL had this feature).

During hot weather and the AC is running long and hard...when I get home and park in the garage...I use the park-car ventilation feature. The scenario...parked in a dark garage with limited air circulation and a wet condenser etc...this is PRIME breeding ground for bacteria and mold to grow (just like the wet towels in a zippered bag). To make it easy...I saved/programmed this iDrive page to the #2 programmable button so that I could access & initiate this feature quickly (during the hot months) so I don't have to delve down through the multiple iDrive pages to get to it:

Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-12-2019 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
Blue Angel1000.50