01-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #47
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
BMW have really done well with this model, but it does lack in the refinement department. OK it is good for a 4-pot diesel, but does give its motive source away. I know many in the UK view it as refined, it is on the cruise, but we do tend to excuse diesel engines over here, partly as many users have no choice in sensible cost motoring.

The same applies to the 320d, still a diesel in feel and sound track, there are other 4-pot diesel engines out there that are a bit more refined and less audible.

HighlandPete
I agree on that, but immediately I have to relativate this... Is this really so important that it costs you every month again? The 520d doesn't sound nice on start up agree on that.

Most of the time (+95%) it doesn't sound at all (which is impressive!), the remainder is the cold start phase, which is not pleasing to the ears.

Does this so dramatically reduce the value proposition? To me it doesn't. I laugh with gasoline V8 engines... they may sound ok, but all the rest, oh my goodness what a shame!

BTW, my 530i is not producing a motivating symphony at start up either, it only delivers beyond 3500rpm!
Appreciate 0