View Single Post
      02-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
clerkpalmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 550xi M-Sport

Tire Dilemma

Hi everyone,

Just got my new to me 2011 550xi msport. Car came equipped with Goodyear LS-2 All Seasons. Tires have decent treadwear. I also purchased a set of Conti DWS All Seasons but my dealer convinced me to run the runflats until next fall and then switch since they have a lot of tread left.

Well, I live in Pittsburgh. We got about an inch of snow overnight. I have a driveway that is about a 30% incline. It did not go well. Where my B8 S4 would get through an inch or two with no shoveling, the 550 almost didn't make it. I almost slid back down my driveway and wrecked a parked car.

So, I am trying to figure out why the S4 with all seasons did not have issues where the 550xi does. I'm hoping the answer isn't that the 550 is too heavy with too much power since the car is useless to me if I can't get out of the driveway. Now I need to decide whether to switch to the Conti DWS now or maybe buy dedicated snows. It does not snow that much here and I really am loathe to buy snows when I have lived with all-seasons for years without issue.

Appreciate any input and experiences others may have had.
Appreciate 0