View Single Post
      02-28-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
fat dog
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

Awful Interior Trims

The biggest disappointment for me regarding the interior of the F10/F11 has always been the cheap-looking black plastic trims fitted as standard to the SE models. They're ridiculously easy to scratch and seem statically charged to attract dust and dirt all too readily. Despite good appearances in photos, the reality is they look cheap and very plastic in the flesh and on close inspection you can spot that they contain minor blemishes, like little dimples and pimples.

The material used seems to be a very rigid, almost brittle plastic and is now the source of another annoyance. As my car warms up from cold, or when direct sunlight hits the trims, the expansion causes them to produce a cracking noise that destroys the ambience of the cabin. You can even gently press the trims (particularly the door trims) and are greeted by a horrible cacophony of clicks and crack noises. Most troubling, is that they resonate with the hi-fi and during telephone calls and not just when the volume is turned up a bit. I had originally thought that this was due to an issue with the speakers distorting but have now traced it to these awful trims. Having paid extra for the prof hi-fi (as it's known in the UK) you can imagine my disappointment with this issue ruining the music experience.

I've popped a couple of trims off and back on, but unfortunately this didn't help.

I intend to book the car into the dealers to have this looked at under warranty, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced similar issues or know of a quick fix to avoid the inconvenience of getting the dealer involved?
Appreciate 0