United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im4citadel View Post
Saw the Dinan site and they are running a 15% discount right now. Contacted a local Dinan sponsored shop in Northern VA and got an OTD quote for the following:

1) Stage 4 upgrade
2) Intercooler upgrade
3) Exhaust + fabrication to utilize stock tips
4) Suspension upgrade

all installed during 2 days for $13,022 (this includes the 15% off from Dinan). Ultimate question, especially to those with any of the upgrades...Is it a good deal and is it worth it? I would also look at paying for some new wheels/tires as well (also an added expense of $4k).

I have never had the pleasure of having Dinan upgrades and have always known that they are the "Gold" standard of aftermarket parts for BMW. I am very on edge to get these upgrades.
OP...I have done some of the upgrades you mention and can definately chime in on some of this. Basically the only thing you propose which I haven't done yet is the Intercoolers/Stage 4 upgrade but I have that planned for the summer when I get back from deployment. But I did Stage 3 and Dinan Shockware software a week ago as I get ready to go and it is a definite improvement to the car. It is super quick now and rides and corners a lot flatter now. You of course will not be able to fully duplicate the cornering ability and suspension of the M5 or course without expensive/extensive mods [some have tried already] but for the cost the Dinan does advance the platform in a very good way. As for exhausts..not sure about the Dinan one..haven't heard it before. Aesthetically the tips stick out too much for me and I think its a bit overpriced. For a little less you can get either a Supersprint, or Eissenmann Race and have a glorious sound and killer exhaust for about $500-1000k less than Dinan if you look around. In fact I'd get a Miesterschaft (sp) before I'd go with the Dinan especially cause it has those programmable valves which allow you to close the valves by remote control and thus mute the sound as needed when you want to. They are about the same in cost to the Dinan exhaust and look great too. So do some research on that part is my advice. As for suspension? Dinan is probably great but costly too...I've seen alot of folks go with ACS and Eilbach and H&R [which I did] and all have had great results. Suspension is in fact probably the least likely portion to mess up and where you can really choose any of the options at a better price point than Dinan and not go wrong nor have much fears of messing anything up. All give better results than stock on your car and improve performance.

So you're not out of the ballpark with your plans and price sounds about right [I was quoted a little less for Stage 4 and Intercoolers and Shockware but I already had Stage 1 on the car so you only pay the difference for upgrading between the Stages 1-4]. I think the Dinan mods are great and recommend them highly...just saying you're not stuck in the full package and price IF you want or need to pursue options and mix/match. Search around and let us know what you find and end up doing. Just remember you have options to include spending a bunch of cash on an M5 upgrade! GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Wouldn't you be better off just buying an M5?
Yes but guys remember and M5 is still a pretty good outlay for some folks on the forum. You're talking about about a $25-40k price delta between a well equipped M5 and a similarly equipped F10 550i for most dealerships. Also the M5 does not come in AWD which may be important to some buyers as well. If you look at the Dinan upgrade proposed you're talking about 1/3 of that price delta for a significant upgrade in performance from a quality tuner and with a 50/100k warranty too! Not too bad and definitely one to seriously think about depending on ones circumstances and finances.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0