View Single Post
      03-01-2014, 08:41 PM   #2
TheGr8Swami
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport w/XDrive

Yes it would be overkill for a car you aren't tracking! Remember, drilled/slotted rotors are racing components, and racers change brakes at higher intervals than someone who isn't doing a significant amount of performance driving.

Liquids from rain and the gases produced from heavy braking can cause brake fade. Fading is the delay of your brake pad making contact to the rotor surface! The slots and drills dissipate gas and liquids from the rotor surface allowing pads to quickly bite! Utilizing a brake pad compound with a higher temperature threshold can also eliminate or limit brake fade!

I mentioned that racers change brake components frequently. Cross drilled rotors over time can develop small cracks that can cause uneven pad wear and rotor scoring. If you're having braking problems I normally would recommend just using a slotted rotor. The slots are designed to also keep the rotor surface clear, but it also forces pads to wear evenly during hard braking!

If you want to improve braking performance, start off by using a better brake pad! BMW uses pads from Pagid and Jurid as OE. There's plenty of vendors who have aggressive pad compounds that provide better bite and significantly less brake dust.

Don't waste your $$$ on these items unless you're experiencing braking problems. The stock BMW brakes are pretty good! Just switch pads.. If you need some recommendations, let me know.

Good luck,

Will aka The Swami