05-10-2021, 05:32 PM   #19
Jacob_f10
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubBMW View Post
Can I get more experiences from others here? And maybe start a dialog about a solution that still involves run-flat tires but in such a way that ownership can proceed in a worry-free way?

I've owned a '13 i550 xDrive with the M package (non-staggard) for 3, maybe 4 years now. When I test drove it I hit a sharp bump in the road within a minute of leaving the dealership. I just passed it on as a bump I should have seen but didn't. I purchased it because everything else, and the rest of the trip, was great.

Within 6 months I had two flats and replaced them with the same stock LS2s. Never having had a blowout ever in 30+ years it didn't take a lot of brain waves to sense there was a problem. I reduced my driving of this car to almost nothing. I then grew a set last year and took it on vacation up and down the east coast of the USA. On the 1st day I had a blowout. Delay of 1 day and two Bridstone Driveguards so that the tires matched on each side while trying a different tire, that trip completed with no further episodes. Since then I've probably driven it another 400 miles and last week - another blowout - one of the Bridgestones.

My driving style is normal, on the slow side anymore for NY NJ PA, and by that I mean I do 70/75 in a 65 while everybody passes me at 80/85, 40 in a 35, and frequently the speed limit when I have all day. In this car I keep a significant gap between me and the car in front just so I can see the insignificant when in any other car, but this inevitably invites others to pass me and it happens too much in the rat race of this area. It's just another thing that takes the enjoyment away from driving. In every other car I've ever driven, from a Cayenne Turbo S with litterally the same sidewall height, to a Ferrari 355, all the way back to my 1st car, an Oldmobile Delta 88 Royale, I've never had to change a tire on-the-spot. I have always been able to make it back and deal with it at home.

So, I guess it's obvious I should have sold it by now, but I haven't. Maybe I like challenges. I can definitely say my car is not an anomally - sooo many others have this problem.

Has anyone resolved the flat problem to the point that driving is worry free without carrying a spare? If you're carrying a spare, you're worried.

Maybe a switch to 17" or 18"? Can we have a talk about suspension programing or tuning?

Thanks all.
I got my car (2014 550i M-Sport, staggered) with Pirelli p-zeros all around. Within FOUR DAYS I had a blowout on the passenger rear… The tire literally popped and I ran the run flat back home. I replaced the rears with Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06. And I decided not to go with run flats… Since then I had one flat from a literall pipe getting embedded in my wheel. It was actually there for about 3 months before the tire gave way and Les Schwab (fantastic tire warranty btw) replaced it for free. I recently put two more Continentals, same type, on the front, and I have had zero issues since the pipe encounter.

I've heard good things about non run flat tires and I'm sticking with them. I do understand the importance of being able to get to where you need to go if you have a flat, but fortunately I am lucky enough to have a few back up beaters and a truck and trailer to tow the car if needed.

Regardless, I've put plenty on miles on these tires with this setup. The roads in my part of the city are not pretty, potholes, bumps, everything. And these tires have treated me wonderfully.

Furthermore, all of my friends run continentals, a 2014 435i, 2016 Audi s3, 2016 Audi s4, 2017 Audi A4. All of them don't have a spare, and run non run flats, and none of them have had problems! We also drive our cars A LOT. So plenty of rough, hard, bumpy miles and little to no tire problems!