11-27-2012, 09:16 AM   #19
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: F11 535d MY2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post
another UK F11 owner. Like highlandPete, JonD and others, I have my A/C set permanently to "Auto" and "ALL" with said snowflake "on" and a low auto fan speed.

have not had a single issue with misting or condensation ever so your car definitely has an issue as others have said. I had two E60's before the F11 and have to say in the 2 years I've owned it I've been very impressed with its ability to "clear" the screen on icy mornings, much improved system over the E60 so I'm afraid to say no complaints here at all in fact a big thumbs up to BMW....system is leaps ahead of the system fitted to my wifes audi, speaking of which she used to always turn her climate control settings to manual in the winter as "A/C is only for sunny days..." and then wonder why the windows misted up in seconds....needless to say she's changed her opinion on that one now.

I also buy into the mantra the modern air con systems (in these kind of cars) work better if left permanently in "auto" with the "snowflake" on. done that in my last 4 BMW's and not had any issues or seen any real impact on real world MPG well not an impact I care about enough to make me want to run it in manual mode. at the end of the day its climate control so if the snowflake is on it doesn't mean the car constantly blasts out chilled air the system regulates the cabin to the preset desired temp...well that's how i understand it works and it seems to work like that in my car drive around with system set at 19.5 deg and the car never mists up in winter, never feels hot or stuff and the windows all clear and stay clear no matter how many people are in the car with me.
Thanks for the info, northernmonkey. I understand that A/C has different uses than just cooling the car down on a hot summer day, but I normally try to keep it off to help with mileage.
But first I need to understand why air is not blowing off the upper vents while on auto, then I will try using A/C...

Appreciate 0