Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbe74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbe74 View Post
I have to object
Most premium brands have "won" tests over the last 3-4 years in the Nordics.
Depending on type of test and magazine Nokian, Pirelli, Goodyear, Conti, Mich and Bridgestone all have had top results since they all focus in the growing Russian premium market where there are large sales volumes to gain.
What i want to say with this is that its good since competition drives development forward and its beneficial for consumers.
The difference between premium winter tires is very low 2015 compared to just a few years ago.
Most important: Buy premium.
Well that is kind of true, depends on the goal of the test.
Also you need to buy a Tire based on the weather where hou live.
A Tire that is good on snow and ice, might not be as good on dry and wet roads.

I imported a car from southern Germany 7 years ago.
It came with winter tires.
They were ok on dry and wet roads, but virtually useless on snow, so they was replaced after a season.
Thats what i meant in my earlier post, regarding the tires on the car you imported from southern Germany. They are European winter tires, not Nordic. The compound work well on wet and slush, not so well in Nordic conditions. But a Nordic compound, from any premium brand since a few years , is good up here
Depends on where you live and drive here in Norway...

My driving is 99% on the lowland coastal area where we might have a few days with snow and the rest of the winter it's mild or we have salted or wet roads. For me European spec winter tires are actually better for 99% of my winter driving. Nordic style tires are much better up in the mountains and those parts of Norway that has snow in the winter though. I just happen to live where the winter road conditions are much better suited to euro spec winter tires IMO. I deliberately ordered Nokian euro spec winter tires since that means I don't have to compromise so much wet and dry tarmac performance, which is what I drive on for 99% of the winter

If you go up in the mountains each weekend then I would NOT have bought the tires I have now. They suck on snow and ice compared with nordic winter tires!
Appreciate 0