06-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #23
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Not sure why you decided to pipe in here after the discussion was ended amicably; but since you called me a Troll and said I “crapped on” the thread, I guess I have to defend myself. Typically, as I’ve found on this Forum, someone always gets their panties in a bunch when another Forum member provides rational and accurate comment that counters the marketing spin occasionally released by the BMW Marketing department.

My comments merely pointed out the fact that while BMW’s press release regarding the 25th anniversary of the introduction of the M1 makes it appear that BMW developed the design manufacturing capability and vehicle concept of a monocoque (or spaceframe) chassis that is drivable without the body panels attached, General Motors actually developed the concept and reduced it to high-rate mass production practice four (4) years before BMW, with the Pontiac Fiero. While BMW alludes to the Z1 as so advanced for its time that even cars of today haven’t caught up to the technology introduced by BMW in 1988 (“Back to the Future”). GM started the development of the manufacturing technique and vehicle concept in 1977 if memory serves correct (it might have been even earlier). BMW decided to go with the same basic design concept in 1985.

I simply pointed out that GM developed the concept of a spaceframe, non-structural bolt-on replaceable body panel vehicle, and implemented the concept to make a production car that sold over 370,000 units in its 5-year production run. BMW only built 8,000 vehicles, by hand mind you, based on what were probably guaranteed customer orders. If one reads BMW’s hype piece one would think the Z1 was so advanced for its time that cars in the future (past 2012) will use its construction technique. I just pointed out that after the Pontiac Fiero, GM built an ENTIRE new car company using the technology, called Saturn. So some feat BMW accomplished.

And we can say that the only lasting technology that came from the Z1 was the multi-link rear (Z) axle; the rest of the car was basically left-over E30 hardware. BMW abandoned the concept in 1991. The Fiero legacy is development of plastic body panels and flexible paint processes that are still in use today in the industry. And I didn't mention previously that the Fiero was a mid-engined design... In a mass production car that sold, at the time, for less than $20,000 and got over 30 MPG.

Three things:

1. You've missed the whole point of the thread and started your own left field GM love fest.

2. I don't think you will ever see those "advanced" Fieros commanding the same buyers premium of a Z1 (special cars are special, fieros, not so much).

3. Pontiac and Saturn and all that plastic are no longer in business for a reason.

PS, I never called you a troll, I said they were more clever.

Appreciate 0