Thread: New Member
View Single Post
      06-25-2015, 05:28 AM   #8
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

I did about 150 miles yesterday and can confirm mpg figures in the high 40s on a mix of motorway and A/B roads, and not far short of the figures I got out of the e90.

Whilst cruising around the legal limit, it easily returns well over 50 mpg but drive up hills or in stop/start in traffic, and the extra weight translates into a big dip in mpg, but that is to be expected on a big heavy car like the 5 series, and I suspect that many of the complaints of poor mpg may well be down to this.

As for the rest of the car, to say I am pleased with it would be a huge understatement. For a 520d it certainly is no slouch and, for a big heavy car; it handles very well, although I’d prefer slightly heavier steering with a bit more feel to it, but that is a minor niggle.

The M Sport suspension / 19” runflats give a firm but not harsh ride, which is a huge improvement over the e90 which could knock fillings out at times.

The subdued noise levels are a joy (the e90 could give a good impression of the inside of a washing machine) and the F10 is generally a fairly quiet place to be, and the excellent Harmon Kardon setup can be appreciated at much lower volumes, yet still deliver decent bass. I’m not an expert but IMO the Harmon Kardon knocks spots off the Gladen / Mosconi setup I had in the e90.

The NBT is exactly what it says on the tin, the graphics are superb and it’s much faster / easier to use, particularly with the touchpad on top of the iController, which makes searches a breeze.

My only niggles are the very light steering as mentioned, the is NO adjustable lumbar support on the M Sport seats and there are no LEDs on the exterior door handles (only with ambient lighting) , the latter 2 were on the e90 so I’m a bit miffed that they’ve been omitted from the F10

I haven’t found anywhere to mount my phone yet, the 2 Brodit mounts put it either on the side of the centre console ready to take someones kneecap off or the middle of the dash, neither of which looks exactly convenient – has anyone come up with any good ideas on phone mounts?

Sorry for the comparisons to an e90, which I know is largely unfair, but it’s the only yardstick I have..

So far so good, the car is a pleasure to drive, onwards and upwards
Appreciate 0