View Single Post
      05-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #81
GTSpenny
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530 GT SE

Hi all.
I'm a newbie here to Bimmer & came across this thread during my search of unreasonable tyre wear on the inner edge of my 04/2010 530 GT with 20" rims.
I've now done approx 24k miles.
It all started back in August 2012 when i had a high speed blowout in 3rd lane M61 which was not a pleasant experience that I would not want to experience again or subject anyone else to, never mind wifey or when the cars full of kids.
I regularly checked tyre pressures (once a month anyway) and never had to top up more than a minimal amount and mostly nothing at all.
Tyres always looked superb across the tread and I was we'll chuffed that the Goodyear excellence run flats were infact nothing but excellent on tyre wear.
Until the above happened that was, the inner edge that was well hidden!
Pulled up on hard sholder & with nothing obvious at that stage, Hobbled off motorway to a known garage approx 1 mile away where I duly purchased a new Goodyear Excellence.
Tyre tech showed me the tyre and I was absolutely gob smacked at the state of the inner edge worn wight down to the steel thread and through at one point with the sidewall detached from the tread surface about 100mm of the tyres circumference.
The other rear tyre was highlighted as almost being in the same condition.
The tyre tech said there was a major problem with the cars camber.
I was happy to hobble home on that one in order to arrange inspection by BMW.
Long story short, bmw took car on my insistence, inspected remaining tyre and photo I presented or the one just replaced.
Wheel alignment performed (free) and printed results presented to me as we'll within BMW tolerances.
I was told that it was a tyre pressure issue and was duly charged for the new tyre so that's just short of £800 for the two.
Checked tyre pressures every two weeks now and not added any air since either of the tyres have been replaces so 10/10 for sealing the tyres!
1st MOT last week at my local non BMW garage where I've been going for years.
Mechanic just finishing when I went to collect and it was still on the ramp.
I was duly invited to inspect the uneven tyre ware on the rear tyres inner edge- needless to say I was pretty pi553d to see this.
Yes that's about 8 months an 3k miles since my blowout and 2 replacements.
If I replace now that's curry takeaway short of £1600 in less than 12 months - oooouch.
Hence my research and request for your assistance in this matter before I launch my case against BMW.

Rob you clearly have some information that may assist in this matter together with the commentaries evidenced in this forum alone.
Anyone's update experiences and most recent forms of resolution with BMW would be very much appreciated in order for me to evidence this to BMW as another case.
I have absolutely no intention of taking this up directly with Goodyear as I believe the book stops with BMW for their supply of goods not fit for purpose.
Changing to Pirelli seems to be a possible solution but I'm damned if that will be at my cost with a brush off from BMW on the grounds of my deficiency to maintain correct tyre pressures.
Thanks for reading this and in anticipation of forum members assistance in resolving this matter further.
Mart
Appreciate 0