View Single Post
      08-13-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
Autosavant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Cadillac CTS RWD DI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dada23 View Post
I would really like to see the first reviews of the E60 5 Series with the manual transmission....how was it described?
My website didn't exist at that time, so I can't comment on that, unfortunately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
What's the engine for the Jaguar XF? Should it be compared with the 550i? Price would depend on the options.

Quote, "Earlier this year, BMW made a major change in their marketing- from the Ultimate Driving Machine to Joy. Though it wasn’t evident at the time, now that I’ve driven the new 535i it is clear why the change had to be made- it’s because the 5 Series simply is not an Ultimate Driving Machine." Question - Which car is for this class?
The Jaguar XF that the author is referring to was a 2010 XF Premium with the 5.0 liter direct injection V8. The Jaguar, which of course is not available with a six in the US, has a significant power advantage, but also had an MSRP about $3,300 less than the tested 535i 6MT. The Jag's price was $62,875 vs. the 5's $66,175.

The cars are in a similar size class and cater to a similar slice of the mid-luxury market, so I'd argue that the 535i more closely competes with the XF Premium. You can feel free to evaluate the 550i against XF, but the value argument becomes even more pronounced in that situation. A 550i equipped similarly to the tested 535i would be about $75,000.

To answer your last question, I think the author is saying that he'd prefer driving the Jaguar XF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadtaggert View Post
IMO, yes, and has been. Results were different in that case.
Please see my comments above.

BTW, here is the link to his Jaguar XF Premium review: http://www.autosavant.com/2009/10/26...remium-review/
And to my XF Supercharged review from a year earlier: http://www.autosavant.com/2008/08/18...harged-review/

Thanks for the feedback, folks!
Appreciate 0