View Single Post
      06-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #9
BaltimoreGT
Rep
Drives: 550i GT/black/Sport pkg/20"

DW review...

Relic, I would state that the only way I could validate that not being runflats is the reason that the DW are better in ride quality over the Goodyear runflats they replaced would be if the tires were the same brand and model varying only on the runflat technology. So, I have no reason to argue with your experience. However, the tires simply ride MUCH BETTER.

The grip on the DW tire is exceptionally different to the GY. You may not experience this on the Pirelli's, but the Goodyears made the car skip laterally when riding over a bump in a sweeper at greater than 65 mph. The DW do not do that as I can tell. Instead, the tires seem to grip laterally much more.

I have not tested heavy braking or 0-60 sprints. But, the car clearly is gripping more and is very comfortable and smooth - yet not soft or sloshy. The suspension seems to work a lot more as a luxury suspension than before, making the car feel complete. I truly hated the jumpy rear and this is resolved. And no, it is not tire pressure - I tried a range 36-42 psi on the rear with the GY and the hesitant rear grip never disappeared.

The GY were a good tyre in my use: drove in the winter, drove hard in the summer and rode long (15 k miles) for a stock tire. But the DW just feel like a summer performance tyre.

I have not pushed the DW tires hard enough to feel the sidewalls fold, as is expected from reviews. But, for the money, the tires look great, feel great and have a very good treadwear (340) making them worth the investment.

Miles driven are only 100 so far.
Attached Images

Last edited by BaltimoreGT; 06-19-2011 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: missing condition in first sentence: "not being runflats"
Appreciate 0