View Single Post
      03-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
Z4C_luvver
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Phoenix Yellow Z4C

OK, so here is how cars get made in the factory.

Your body shell and bumpers are painted in two different localities, not in the same paint booth (if anyone knows of a manufacturer that does, let me know). BMW and others strive their hardest to have the colours match 100%, but in reality, they won't. They can't. They'll be darn close, but no cigar. The first reason is obvious (not painted together), the second reason I believe is that the bumper is not painted in the same way/pattern/direction as the body shell. With metallics, this is critical.

Re what gatoman said, he is right also. It has little to do with the fact that the bumper is plastic (although static charge can alter flakes), and a good panel shop should be able to return you a car that is matched better than the factory, as they will blend the bumper paint back to the panel. I had this done to my car and as mentioned it was better than new.

If you drive around and look at ANY modern metallic car, you will notice that the bumper is a slightly different shade to the body from some angles. I'd go back and request he do it again. Doesn't he have a satisfaction guarantee?
Appreciate 0