06-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
Pinkoboe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 GTS 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibimmer346 View Post
Smartphone Integration requires a snap-in adapter that is custom per-phone which must be purchased separately. I have the adapter for the iPhone 3G which works on my 3GS. From what we've seen online, the 4G will have a different physical form factor. So it's very possible the 4G phone won't work on the current adapter.

The good news is that I know someone (not me) who will be getting a 4G very close to launch and I might be able to convince them to let me try that phone in my adapter to see if it works.

But I wouldn't assume it'll "just work" considering the phones physically are different.
Although the iPhone should work with the BMW bluetooth system, I suspect it will not fit into the 3/3g cradle for the 6NF option. I have 6NF and the 3/3G cradle in my E92, and the phone is a very snug fit. Even if the iPhone 4 is smaller overall, it is a square back design as compared to the curved design of the earlier models, and I cannot imagine it fitting without modification. Of course BMW will likely release the right craddle for the iPhone 4 right about the time the iPhone 5 is released.

I would also recommend that you do a bit of research before adding the 6NF option, as many people such as myself, believe it to be a complete waste of money.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0