View Single Post
      11-10-2011, 09:08 AM   #6
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_S5 View Post
On the E60 the FTM only picks up a flat tire for RFT (meaning RFT with 0 psi) because as ceb said the RFT sidewall is stiff and it will create a problem for the FTM to pick up the slight difference of tire pressure as presented in a slow leaked situation.

I know because the comp prompt me about a flat on my RFT then I take it into the shop and they say no air inside the tire. Couldn't say is a design flaw as RFT tires are design to "Run flat" and you are not suppose to plug your tire on a RFT.

The best solution is get rid of the RFT then the FTM will pick up a slow leak.
There is no reason not to plug a RFT like any other tire (tread only, not close to sidewall) assuming that you are absolutely, positively sure that the tire has not been driven on in a low pressure state.

The OP wil need to replace the tire as he has driven on it with extremely low pressure - however - an owner with TPMS gets an alert, tests the pressure and sees 25psi. The owner pumps it up to the proper pressure and drives to a tire shop where a nail is found and the tire patched.

Most BMW dealers won't patch a tire because they don't know how long the tire was used with low pressure (or how low the pressure actually got) but most tire places will.

It is perfectly safe to do assuming you know that the tire was never driven severely low.
Appreciate 0