View Single Post
      09-05-2012, 06:17 AM   #16
OHRog
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550iGT

I've had my 550GT for a year. In the last 10 years I've had two 7 series and most recently an '08 4.4 X5, equipped with all the bells and whistles. I wanted something more comfortable for touring, plus the ability to fold the rear seats down and increase the cargo area. How does it work, one year in? The pluses are it's an incredible ride, smooth and powerful ... all the classic BMW handling, but with 400HP under your foot. On long runs it has to be the quietest sedan I've ever owned. There's a few cons ... 1) For some reason they reduced the gas tank size (front/rear weight balance?) to just 18 gallons. So, you're hunting for a gas station every 200+ miles, not very Gran Turismo! 2) The rear view is somewhat of a slot, not as bad as some BMWs, but it's still good I have the rear view camera. However, the rear luggage shelf is a light color and its reflection makes the rear view even worse. 3) The navigation system in the '11 model cannot be updated by the owner, it's a $350 service visit, almost double the $199 I used to pay for annual navigation updates. So I used the money I didn't spend on a separate Garmin unit, which has way more features and is great!
Appreciate 0