11-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #19
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
We learned from these measurements that the rise in steering effort immediately off-center is significantly quicker and higher with HPS, giving the 535i a tighter, more connected feeling in straight-ahead driving. Also, all 12 of the 535i traces (only two of which are shown) depict significantly less wander and deviation than is evident in the 528i plots. In other words, the buildup and decay of steering effort during back-and-forth maneuvers is more consistent with HPS, an advantage useful during passing maneuvers. Higher efforts do not equate to better feedback, but at least the 535i’s on-center characteristics lend a more secure sensation on the highway. http://www.caranddriver.com/features...n-test-feature
This is the reason I like Hydraulic steering. I have logged over a million miles on the highway in the livery business. I have also driven across country many times. Through Canada, and up to Alaska. I have spent many hours on the highway sometimes driving as much as 18 hours a day, or more.

I like the hydraulic steering because as I get jostled around on our poorly maintained roads in the U.S. the steering wheel doesn't move around with me. It stays put, and fatigues me less. It is more work, and feels less secure than EPS.
Appreciate 0