View Single Post
      01-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
mikestrete
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

The nitpicking on this forum is starting to get me down. I am not even sure whether or not the idrive controller is entirely plastic. But what about the lashings of what I assume to be stainless steel throughout the cabin, for example, the trim strips, the gear selector surround, and the shift paddles? The cabin quality is absolutely outstanding.

And while I'm moaning, I really don't know what all the fuss is about the steering. I find my steering to be beautifully precise. I don't know what is meant by "lack of feedback" or "numbness around the straight-ahead position." I can feel the surface of the road through the wheel. And, magically, harsh mid-corner bumps do not transmit through the wheel to upset the car's course. I was never happy with the steering in my e60 and I couldn't imagine how my f10's steering could be any better. A couple of posters in other threads have complained that they expect their cars to travel in a straight line while taking their hands off the wheel. I don't know how they can demand both "feedback" - where imperfections in the road surface would move the wheel off-centre - and a steering totally impervious to, or not needing, any input.

The 5 series is all-round brilliant. Owners of the car should realise this and enjoy their cars. People who don't own it should be careful about irritating those of us who do, especially with comments about BMW having "lost its way" or the 5 series no longer being a "driver's car", or about how they wish "Bangle was back." These are the same people who criticised the e60 for being "ugly", and its ride as too coarse or unrefined. I hope BMW doesn't despair.

When the f10 was first released and I hadn't decided to buy my f10 I also tried to find fault with the new car in order to make myself feel better. My attitude changed totally when I drove it and then bought it.
Appreciate 0