tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
All US Military branches offer Student Loan Repayment Programs and Tuition Assistance. Even the reserve components

If citizens want higher education but can't afford it, have 'em sign up, serve a few years to earn the aforementioned benefits and learn some personal discipline, self accountability, understand how contribution to greater cause works, and gain a sense of personal responsibility.

Productivity, all around.
I started college with no idea what direction I was going and I did pretty poorly. I’m fairly smart, but I’m a terrible student, especially when I don’t have a clear focus for what I’m doing. When I finally gave up my GPA was less than a 2.0.

After several years I joined the Army and specifically chose an MOS that offered the Army College Fund. I served on active duty for four years.

When I got out of the Army I went back to school. Both times I went to a state school where I got in-state tuition. I made that choice because it was not financially reasonable for me to attend the private school I would have liked to attend. I finished my degree in two years. My post Army GPA was a 3.6+. The Army College Fund paid me $900/month while school was in session. The post 9/11 college benefits are MUCH better than the old college fund.

Joining the Army was the single best decision I’ve ever made in my life. 35 years later I am still enjoying the benefits of being a veteran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTF View Post
Nothing is "cancelled", debt is simply transferred to the taxpayer to buy votes. Fairness has no place in this scheme.....only more corruption from an incompetent administration. I currently live in a state where corruption is an art.
I wish this wasn’t so true!! I’ve lived a few places in my life and the corruption in Illinois is beyond my ability to comprehend. I’ve never seen anything like it anywhere. I love Chicago (in spite of the mind boggling corruption here), but I’ve never hated any state as much as I hate Illinois.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post

So if Americans are fine with the Government telling them who gets to go to college and what they get to study, sure, let the gov give free college out. Only about 30% of Germans end up going to college. Compared to the ~60% of Americans that go to college. There is a 0% chance the USA adopts a similar type system that allows free college for some, especially with how much college degrees have been pushed in our society for the last several decades.
Just for clarity. A large percentage of Americans may start college, but only about 33% actually graduate with at least a bachelor’s degree. For years it was very stable at 27% and has only begun increasing in the last number of years. I’m beginning to think most of that increase is due to the colleges graduating students who have no business graduating.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

vreihen1615466.00
3798j11549.50