View Single Post
      09-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
suj999
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F06 640d M Sport, F10 520d SE

Unhappy Help! New Clutch and DMF but slipping badly

Have a F10 2011 520d that I had the DMF and Clutch replaced as the old one started to slip very slightly on high gears and slight DMF noise.

So ordered new LUK parts from Eurocarparts and got my trusted mechanic to have them replaced.
On opening up, the old clutch was really worn and the DMF had a lot of play and started to leak oil.

The mechanic got one of his experienced technicians to fit the parts and he was very through and I was there when he was fitting everything.

Once finished, on test driving it I found that the clutch was slipping really badly on gear 3 and up (the rev would race up and I have to let go of the accelerator for it to catch up mostly even without me trying to race the car). But not at all on 1 & 2.
There is also a slight knocking feeling when the clutch is fully pressed down, but only if pressed down fully. And only appears in the last half an inch of travel.

The mechanic is unsure what is wrong except of the clutch kit is faulty and suggested can try another one from eurocarparts. But not sure what to do if it does the same thing.

I fairly trust him and he has 2 people working for him and mainly works on German cars. But told me he hasn’t changed a clutch on an F10 yet.

So far between him and me we narrowed the possibilities to
1) Need bedding in – Unlikely (and no improvement at all over the 3 days since change)
2) Bad fitting – Again unlikely as the tech was rather through and I was there.
3) Wrong clutch – We did visually check as well as with eurocar parts to make sure it’s the correct one.
4) Release bearing faulty?
5) Clutch pressure plate / Self adjust faulty and not making full contact?

I have spoken to someone else who used to work on Vauxhalls, he said it could be that the release bearing or the release fork may be miss aligned?? Or was damaged on transit or during fitting. The knocking could be because it’s travelling too far and touching the pressure plate? And because its fitted badly (or damaged) it could also be not forming the tight enough grip when it’s meant to be engaged? Does this sound feasible??

Thanks for any input
Appreciate 0