View Single Post
      12-12-2011, 07:45 AM   #9
vdubturbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, E36, 997

I don't think this is about politics, but rather BMW's (and other manufacturer's) desire to try and be more efficient. Start-Stop technology is actually widley used in hybrid vehicles, so this is nothing new to the industry. You could make the argument that it might eventually be required by law, but really what is going to be required are efficiency thresholds. I would imagine it's up to the manufacturer as to how to achieve those levels.

I had a 2011 320d in Munich not too long ago that had the start-stop (and in a manual no less). It was a little odd at first, but once I got used to it I didn't mind it all that much. And that vehicle got the equivalent of 49mpg with 3 adults in the car, so whatever technology they're using must provide results, otherwise they wouldn't add the complexity.

As for the engine components, the specifics involved with the start-stop are designed for higher duty cycle operation. The starter, solenoids, and associated mechanical assemblies are considerably beefier than in normal starter applications. So to answer your question, they didn't simply add the feature to a stock car. The component were redesigned to handle the load.
Appreciate 0