View Single Post
      12-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D
Approximately at which point does the electronic oil level system indicate that a top-up is needed and does it states the quantity required?
With 3k miles from new, the screen on my 640i (same engine as 535i) is indicating just over half full, but it's still green and there are no other indications.
My instinct tells me to add oil now, but without knowing how much is required, I could easily overfill.
My previous two BMWs were extremely oil-frugal 6cyl diesels and I have no experience of modern petrol engine oil consumption.
Any advice much appreciated - many thanks.
Jon,

The oil consumption varies, of course. But, in general, I would say 1 quart every 6000 miles is what I averaged over my last four 750li vehicles.

Now, the main reason that you may want to wait until it gets to the minimum threshold is due to the fact that its too easy to overfill. That's a bad thing.

If you wait until it gets to the minimum threshold then you can blindly dump in a full quart.

However, if you feel uncomfortable with the oil at less than full, you can put a fraction of a quart in.

The top segment should not be green. When it is green then you have exceeded the maximum. Now, if it is green, then it won't hurt it if you are sure you have not overfilled it too much. It is a little buffer area, that gives you some extra room.

The four segments below the top segment of the meter, when combined represent one full quart. Otherwise, in general, each segment equals one quarter quart. At least in the USA.

The very bottom segment should always be green. If that segment is not green then you are heading dangerously below the minimum.

Keep in mind that your BMW does not always give an accurate oil reading after filling.

The best time to fill the oil is in the morning whilst it is cool. You can fill a hot engine with cooler oil, but it is a stressor that should be avoided.
Appreciate 0