View Single Post
      10-04-2016, 04:29 AM   #103
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntDX316 View Post
I mean, you should of tried the M-sport version too rather than assuming DHP is the best.
Saying something is 'best' is always open to debate, one man's best is not always another's.

Suspension fits into that category, as it is a set of compromises. Passive suspension (of any combination) is more limited by design, has a fixed set of compromises. Adaptive suspensions widen the working envelope, which equates to less compromise, over varied conditions. Something like DHP (Adaptive Drive) gives us a wider envelope over an even wider working range.

Now whether we as drivers see extra value in a particular suspension, is again influenced by our view of compromises. Some are willing to compromise on ride quality with a firmer passive suspension. Will sacrifice comfort on poor surfaces for better handling. If we can have both, many will rate that as better. It is certainly going to be different, as we don't get both with passive, be it standard or sport suspension.

For me less compromise is very advantageous, I see it as the best OEM suspension on offer. I've driven many BMW 704 suspensions over the years, always some limitation, Adaptive Drive is my choice any day.

I fully understand many will not see or feel its value, option 704 will be a good enough compromise, even preferred. Partly due to it giving a stiffer sport feel we are accustomed and conditioned to expect. Adaptive Drive has a different feel, "soft where possible, firm when necessary". Live with it for a while and it is clear it is an advanced suspension, which works for those who want comfort and a controlled chassis.
Appreciate 0