10-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Town550i View Post
So do you figure that it is a vastly underrated engine? Does it pull harder at lower rpms compared to the twist of the Dinan 550? Do you equate the "quicker" to the M-DCT (I am well experienced with it coming from my e92 M3...and am aware that it will make a car much quicker than a slush box or 6 spd manual)?

Congrats on the purchase...
Yes. I do believe BMW has underrated this engine. Independent dyno test results have proven it. It does pull significantly harder at lower RPM's and any sort of turbo lag is minimal to none. It's a very different beast than the 550 - at least in stock form. The Dinan upgrades helped tremendously. Stage 4 alone changed the power delivery curve and made things smoother.

M-DCT is an amazing transmission. I had it in my E92 M3 and missed it in the 550. That definitely helps with the perceived quickness of this car.

I've done some cosmetic mods for the moment to remove chrome from the car. I have a new set of exhaust tips coming. Outside of that, it's just waiting and seeing who comes out with what. I'm waiting on Dinan to do their thing...