View Single Post
      09-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
TunedIn
BMW Car and Bike Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 535i, '08 750i, '12 K1300S

How often do you use the shift paddles vs fully automatic ?

I'm planning to buy a 2012 535i, but I'm still struggling with the 8-speed auto with paddles vs. 6-speed manual transmission decision. I love shifting for myself, and currently drive a 5-speed Z3. I previously drove a 2001 740i with the Sport Package / Steptronic transmission, but after the first week of playing with the shifter, I just left it in automatic for the next 6 years.

So here's my question: for those of you who own an F10 5-series with the 8-speed and paddles, what percent of the time are you shifting it yourself with the paddles, vs. just leaving it in fully automatic mode?

My theory is that other than occasional bouts of paddle shifting, for the majority of your driving around town, commuting to work, running errands, etc., you don't bother with paddles and just leave the car in fully automatic mode. At least with a manual, you're ALWAYS engaged and shifting gears for yourself, and more involved with the car, even when just tooling around town. The paddles might be fun for 10% of the time when you're driving in the mountains or hot-dogging it, but in general, you don't use 'em. Correct ?
Appreciate 0