View Single Post
      11-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
AC_S5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 523i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
There is no reason not to plug a RFT like any other tire (tread only, not close to sidewall) assuming that you are absolutely, positively sure that the tire has not been driven on in a low pressure state.

The OP wil need to replace the tire as he has driven on it with extremely low pressure - however - an owner with TPMS gets an alert, tests the pressure and sees 25psi. The owner pumps it up to the proper pressure and drives to a tire shop where a nail is found and the tire patched.

Most BMW dealers won't patch a tire because they don't know how long the tire was used with low pressure (or how low the pressure actually got) but most tire places will.

It is perfectly safe to do assuming you know that the tire was never driven severely low.
Of course I patched my RFT given how expensive these tires are and to do my little part in helping the environment by producing one less scrap tire any shop other then BMW will happily do it for you and in most case free of charge.

You are absolutely right in the sense that it is ok to patch a RFT given it have not been driven a long time with no air pressure but the problem is this is a personal judgement of the driver as you can't really see the state of the RFT, but I rarely drives in autobahn speed so no harm in patching it.

Most BMW dealer or service center will not patch the tire because of liability issues as they don't want someone suing them after they got into an accident, so they just recommend you to change it and if the tire fail, they can always sue the tire company

For those who don't have the luxury of a government mandated TPMS, just ditch the run flats if you don't need it, is so convenient for us to call a tow truck and they wouldn't charge you an arm and a leg for towing it to the nearest tire shop.
2005 E60 523i, 1999 E39 523i, 1998 E46 323i
Appreciate 0