View Single Post
      01-30-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
dpalexander
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 325i

Common Sense

My 2 cents:
I agree that my E46 premium HK sound was much "tighter" (bass compact, precise, not overextended). What is called a "British" speaker sound. (Like B&O home speakers)

But now everybody wants sloppy BIG bass, and HK has bended towards that desire. As a result, I don't think our F30 premium can EVER achieve that British sound (my son now has that E46), but you can compensate a bit.

Start with everything at zero. To cure bass muddiness, try dialing down 500Hz one or two notches. Still muddy? Dial down 200 one step or two, then boost volume to comfortable level. I like to boost 100 a step or two. The interaction with the 200 reduction will boost low bass but (hopefully) erase silly muddy mid-bass.

You can boost the 1K and 2K settings to your taste for vocals. But be careful; the system is fairly bright to begin with, and boosting these levels can cause listener fatigue. Two steps may be too much.

The two highest sliders can be boosted for those shimmering highs of cymbals etc, but again, do to taste.

Don't believe the (many) guys who boost all lows and all highs- these settings will cause your eardrums to bleed, and the system is already punchy and bright. Also don't believe the self-proclaims experts who boost the general bass and treble settings, then set sliders. These controls are "grand" and move many levels at once. It is much more precise to leave those neutral and use the more precise sliders.

New radio channel with its own different emphasis? You have to start from scratch! But it is a tribute to the HK system that it reveals those flaws, which on another system you might not hear.
Appreciate 0