View Single Post
      01-30-2015, 05:25 PM   #1
Toad535
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535 MSport

DIY: LCI IDrive Screen Trim

So I saw someone post that they swapped the LCI screen trim (part 65509301374) on their non-LCI car and, after driving an LCI X3 loaner, I liked the look enough to pay the $40 for the part. It was harder than I thought it would be, so thought I'd do a quick write up for anyone else interested...

1) In order to remove the trim, which turns out is clipped and screwed to the screen, you first need to remove the main dash trim panel. That was easily accomplished by opening the glove box and gently pulling on the lip above the door, starting at the passenger door side and working your way toward the start button. There are a half dozen clips across the width of it.

2) Move the trim out of the way. I found it easy enough to remove the harness to the start button then twist it of the way (was still connected to the climate control harness which I couldn't get loose - or didn't try very hard).

3) Remove the two torx screws (believe they were T25) at the bottom of either side of the screen.

4) Pull gently at the bottom of the screen to rotate towards the rear of the car. The top is held in by two metal arms that "wrap" around the top of the dash to hold it in (can be seen in below pictures). Be careful - this screen is expensive I left all the harnesses connected while I worked (sore back later that night), because I couldn't I didn't want to fuss with getting the harnesses disconnected (wasn't immediately obviously how to release them). Might not be a bad idea to put some soft material down in the opening to avoid scratching the screen.

5) Remove the 8 small torx screws (believe they were T10) that hold the trim to the screen. You first have to remove the black cover from the back which is held in by 3 screw, then you can access the other 2 on the top. There are also 2 on the back side, and 2 more that hold the LED on indicator in place. Note that there is no LED window on the new trim piece to hold it in place, so you won't be able to see it any longer (though not really sure what it's good for anyway ).

6) Unclip the four clips that hold the trim in place (green circles). Two on top, two on bottom.

7) Put everything back together (less the LED - you'll be left with a back cover to the LED and two screws

8) Profit.

Appreciate 1
khanyam4801.50