02-11-2014, 07:55 AM   #17
NC M550 VADER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Can you compare your 540i (e39) to your 550i (e60) for me? What did you really like, what didn't you like. They are both cars that still feel analogue, and I could definitely see myself picking up one in the future as a DD.
It will become increasingly difficult to locate a low mileage e60 (even harder for '02-03 e39, which were the finest years), but if you do, do not hesitate to jump on either.

The e39 is a less complex machine, one that gives near perfect driving feedback. The e60 adds more creature comforts and technology (yikes), but at the expense of style (in the eyes of some) and reliability. As you know, these cars are all about maintenance, so if it's been done and you continue to do it, you should be in great shape with either as a DD.

Ultimately, it's very hard to quantify which car is "better," but if it's a low profile, sleeper car that is a pure joy to drive, it's the V8 e39. If you want to greater access to mods, more tech and modernity, the e60 is your best bet, but try to go LCI if you can, as the '08 interior is much nicer.

If you put a gun to my head, I would try to find an '03 540i m-sport in alpine white with low miles, add some amazing wheels and call it a day!

Appreciate 0