View Single Post
      02-11-2014, 08:15 AM   #18
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqyankee View Post
It will become increasingly difficult to locate a low mileage e60 (even harder for '02-03 e39, which were the finest years), but if you do, do not hesitate to jump on either.

The e39 is a less complex machine, one that gives near perfect driving feedback. The e60 adds more creature comforts and technology (yikes), but at the expense of style (in the eyes of some) and reliability. As you know, these cars are all about maintenance, so if it's been done and you continue to do it, you should be in great shape with either as a DD.

Ultimately, it's very hard to quantify which car is "better," but if it's a low profile, sleeper car that is a pure joy to drive, it's the V8 e39. If you want to greater access to mods, more tech and modernity, the e60 is your best bet, but try to go LCI if you can, as the '08 interior is much nicer.

If you put a gun to my head, I would try to find an '03 540i m-sport in alpine white with low miles, add some amazing wheels and call it a day!

Awesome, thanks! Have you ever considered an E39 M5 though? Not THAT vastly different than a 540i (at least compared to an E60 550i vs V10). I might opt out of the V8 and just get a trusty 525i E39 (Touring if possible). Don't think I have a need for 2 V8s. I have to say, your pics show just how good the E39 still looks.

Also, I've always had a thing for E38s too. They can be had for so cheap nowadays that I really considered getting one as a DD. But the reliability and complexity scared me away, so I ended up with a 4Runner
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0