Thread: 40 MPG?
View Single Post
      01-18-2012, 03:37 AM   #14
beemermal
Rep
Drives: 5series GT

There does seem to be a big variation in MPG forum members achieve but I can only say I'm impressed with the fuel returns I get from my 2010 530dGT. It currently has just under 12,000 miles on the clock and our main use is for lengthy journeys (3 up to now) between the UK and Spain with journeys, over a couple of days, of around 650 miles a day. We use motorways in France and Spain and my last trip averaged 41.8mpg (UK, imperial gallon) over the 1320 mile return trip.

Driving style on these trips is usually leisurely on cruise control for the vast majority of the journey which I set at around 75mph. The rev counter rarely going over 1500rpm.

Local town usage is only around 26mpg, although I rarely check MPG in any detail but still good for a big motor. Diesel in the UK is currently selling at over £1.40 a litre so there is no way I would even consider a petrol engined car, although a new M5 would be on my list when I win the lottery!

A quick conversion....UK diesel prices now are around £6.37 a UK imperial gallon and that is around US $9.80. However, the imperial gallon (4.547 litres) is 20% larger than the United States gallon.
Appreciate 0