05-27-2009, 09:20 PM   #33
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell330i View Post
why wouldnt it replace the N54??? BMW would be stupid not to utilize better performace and efficiency in an easier to build, more cost effective package and making it available in every car. Where have you heard that they arent??
What makes you think this motor is more cost effective for them to build? It isn't. Valvetronic is more complex and costly than a turbo. I have my sources and they insist this is not going to replace all the N54s. There are a few more tricks left in the N54.

The N54 did not replace the N52 did it? Nope and they could have made a single turbo de-tuned version and said good bye to it as well. All BMW engines have a life cycle just as the cars do. The NA V8 is still in the X5 and the 550i as well, they did not go turbo. The N54 will remain in some models until end of life.

The N55 has a purpose and will be added in the US market to the model that has not gone turbo yet... BMWNA likes to launch a breakthrough item in new or refreshed models. The 5er GT brings in the PAS concept and Brake energy regeneration, the N53 marketing would have been too much or a waste so it is held for another.

-M