View Single Post
      12-14-2015, 12:51 AM   #60
EV0LVE
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i SG

Thanks mainly to Steve G, ZZZbullseye and bimmerman33 their instructions allowed me to do the rear pads today, I would like to add a few pointers, to possibly limit the head-scratching.

If you're using a standard jack (as oppose to the alligator hydraulic jack) do each wheel at a time. Even if you have 2 standard jacks, it will not be stable to hold the car up.

As mentioned, the parking brake needs to be off in order pull out the EMF actuator. The car has to be off, keys outside of the vehicle. If you get an error after unplugging the EMF cable or the EMF actuator from the caliper, do not panic. Simply proceed as the EMF will recalibrate when you put everything back together.

The parking brake spline should be rotated CLOCKWISE, this can be done by hand, even with a standard 7mm allen key.

The rear oem pads come with 4 retainers, and 4 new bolts for the floating caliper. You may have to re-use the old retainer and bolts if you bought an aftermarket pads.

The brake wear sensor is sold separately. For US cars, the rear brake wear sensor is on the passenger side. Pay attention to the cable routing, as it goes thru the top of the caliper. The plug goes on the inner pad, on the passenger side. The other end goes to a small plastic box, on the rear well. Pop the box open then undo the plug to remove it.

After you've installed everything back together, get in the car, press the brake pedal a few times, until you can feel resistance. Then start the car, activate and deactivate the parking brake a few times. Note that the EMF will take a while to spool the first time, as it will recalibrate. It will then go to normal after it recalibrates.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
AlexL4.50