View Single Post
      05-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #98
maxmm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 535d GT

I could confirm that those guys are able to unlock additional options - virtually any kind of.

In fact - everything they do - is some kind specially-cooked disk for unix OS (fortunately BMW switched from windows automobile to VxWorks for iDrive systems) which makes changes in the enabled options list.

It is quit a lot of things possible to do using this way, and it is really genius (as not requires any hardcore procedures)

From the other hand, i soldered my own cable (5$ for parts: OBD connector + LAN cable + 510Ohm resistor) and played with some options - for example, i've enabled 'acoustic confirmation' option (when i'm locking and unlocking my car) which is normally not available on the EU-spec cars, also enabled 614 (internet) option in the combox (dvdinmotion guys done exactly the same for me by the CD disk, but they are not changing options list in the combox itself - practically, it means in case BMW dealer will do the full reset / re-initialisation of a combox, all modifications will be lost but it is really easy to return them back by using the same ISO / CD's ), switched off audio 'belt signal', and so on...

The trouble (for the UK) that even in case you've got 'internet' menu availible - you'll see the message 'internet is not available in your country' which could be related with a few things - first of all, BMW proxy servers are checking VIN number of the car to see is the 614 option enabled, or it is simply disable for the UK sim-cards (but should be enabled really soon as there will be shipping time for the first officially-enabled BMW cars with this option to the UK)

Will try to continue to talk with DVDinMotion guys to try to resolve this issue (UK guys are really missing this option ) ), they are really responsive and helpful.

Last edited by maxmm; 05-09-2011 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 0