View Single Post
      06-08-2012, 02:10 AM   #33
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

I'm so sorry to see your car in that state. It makes me very, very angry.

Any chance there were markings or otherwise stamped into the piece of the car that was left behind? Might be able to give it to the police to refer back to the manufacturer. A serial number or otherwise could match up with VIN and then reveal registered owner.

I had something similar happen a number of years ago. My car was parked and was hit from behind, which also pushed my car into the vehicle in front. My rear aftermarket exhaust, bumper, tail lights, left rear wheel, and two front E-code headlights plus grill were damaged. It didn't look much different from yours, though the rear window shattered. The parts were not cheap. I was absolutely livid and vowed to do horrible things to the person if I ever caught them.

Turns out one of their headlights dislodged and I found it under my car when I went to move it. Told the police, they contacted the manufacturer, matched the serial number to the VIN of the car, and showed up at the dude's house. 21 year old kid, spoiled rotten, driving a brand new car he probably should never have been allowed to. He was arrested (unrelated - they found weed in his car) and my insurance company collected. I ultimately persuaded them to total the vehicle.

To add even more insult to injury, the dude's car was disabled by the impact. One of his friends came to his aid and towed his car. That friend was also ticketed. But what makes me angry is that this happened on a fairly busy street - both cars and pedestrians. Nobody came forward as a witness or stopped to ask any questions.