View Single Post
      07-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
jdubbs
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i GT

I glanced at a GT at my local dealer when it was first available in the U.S., and I thought it looked great... except for the back side. I remember thinking, "I'll wait for the new 5 sedan whenever it's introduced." When the sedan did become available, I was sure I would go with it for my next car... the GT marketing materials (esp. the photos in the brochure) weren't very flattering, and judging from memory of that initial sighting, the photos I could find online, and the vitriol of posters on this and other forums toward the GT, I didn't see a reason to consider the GT at all.

Then I went an saw a few first-hand at a local dealer, and my opinion started to change. The rear end was still its least-appealing view, and the bi-modal trunk/hatch has proven to be kind of useless and gimmicky in mild climates like the Bay Area (I can see how it might be helpful in a snowier climate). But its other assets more than make up for that, in my opinion at least. The interior is noticeably more spacious and luxurious than the 5 sedan. Its elevated ride height makes it easier to get in and out of (with better visibility, too). The hatchback and fold-down seats make it possible to transport just about anything (last week I loaded a 9 1/2' long airplane propellor... doubt you can do that in a 5 sedan). The rear seats offer substantially more legroom for passengers. And the panoramic sunroof makes the interior feel far more... exterior. Gas mileage is virtually identical, and the price is only marginally more than the 5 sedan (and far less than the 7, upon which the 5 GT is actually based).

Half-way into my 3-year lease, I still don't like the butt; to be honest I think it's the worst tail-end BMW has ever produced, even worse than the first 7-series "Bangle Butt" some 10 years ago. The tail end of the 5 sedan, on the other hand, may be the best BMW has ever designed... and I'm guessing BMW thinks so too, since they reused it almost verbatim on the new 3 sedan. I do hope BMW addresses this in the GT's upcoming LCI; without a correction I doubt the 5 GT will ever gain acceptance, let alone admiration, in the U.S. If it were up to me, I'd suggest dropping the bi-modal trunk mechanism in favor of a simplified hatchback, given that it's no doubt contributing to the bulkiness of the rear quarter, not to mention the GT's weight and sticker price.

But having said all that, the 5 GT is probably my favorite of all the BMWs I've owned... including a Z4, M5, and 650i convertible, all of which get far higher praise on boards like this. Each of those had substantial compromises too, effectively sacrificing practicality, gas mileage, and/or interior comfort for style... while the GT compromises a bit on style, you gain so much more in return.
Appreciate 0