View Single Post
      09-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

That's a little over 27mpg on average for you. That's nice. On the diesels BMW does sell here in the USA, they charge a big premium over the similar gasoline engine. I know from the German pricelist, they are about equivalent (535i base is about the same as the 530d for example). Now, sometimes, there's a federal tax credit for the diesel here, so that brings the differential down, but it is still higher. Not sure why, as they are about even everywhere else I've looked. Probably BMW trying to boost profits, but they do include maintenance for 4-years/50K miles. Not sure if the maintenance requirements are more costly on the diesel (maybe oil changes occur more often?). Anyway, unless I'm forced to buy a new car, I'm keeping the current one until they show the diesel GT here, hopefully earlier in the year rather than later!

Assuming the car is delivered with all-season tires, (I like to have two sets, snows, and summer) assuming I didn't want to go into the Alps, or where snows were required, how much of a problem would you think I'd have with all-seasons if I took delivery at the factory in the winter? I'd probably try to arrange things so the car was delivered late April, or early May, so snow isn't as much of an issue, but if it ends up being in January, I need to figure out my options. There's a place that rents snows, but the expense is pretty high for a few days. I'd rather use that money to buy some to keep when I got home!
Appreciate 0