View Single Post
      06-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
skiajl6297
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i

Cracked Windshield

Month old 2012 528i got a big crack in the drivers side of the windshield. It is clear that the shield will need to be replaced. Got hit by pebble on 495 this past weekend. The crack is about 8-10" long. Insurance indicated that if I use my BMW shop to repair I will need to pay out of pocket and submit for reimbursement, or use a local glass shop who will direct bill insurance - I only need to cover my $250 comp deductible.

When I contacted insurance I insisted on OEM glass, and the local shop is calling around for it. A few questions:

Since this is a lease, I am concerned about warranty. If the windshield is replaced with OEM glass by a third party, is there any risk to my warranty, or to my lease return?

Are there any other things I should ask the third party to do, e.g. OEM sealant for the rain-sensing rear view mirror? I do not have HUD.

Is there any additional OEM moulding that is involved?

Are there any other components I should ask for?

Is it worth the out of pocket savings to just do this with my dealer? I don't want to lose my car for 48 hours if I don't have to.

I have used this company before for an OEM window repair, and they were great, but was concerned with my new car since it is a lease. Any guidance is appreciated.
Appreciate 0