View Single Post
      11-25-2009, 01:57 PM   #13
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sois View Post
I'll have to agree. It is such a waste in so many ways when people are so darn impatient they are willing to get hosed to be the first one to drive a new model. Is their ego that fragile? Are they that loaded that they just don't care? Combination of the two? Likely the former combined with a denial of the inexistence of the latter.

Either way, a lot more would be accomplished to do something similar to this: ask the dealership what they want when the first F10 shows up, laugh at them and finger them on the way out (I did this when the recent M3 came out, by the way). Needless to say, with the M3, less than 6 months down the road they were blowing them out at near cost. The guy that looked at me all cocky and shocked when I had previously flipped him the bird was all over me to take my offer from that day. Too late, I'm waiting for the F10. I will apply the same procedure as with the M3 next spring.

I encourage all of you to do the same. Take a deep breath and resist that adolescent need for instant gratification. Give that extra cash to charity or put it on your mortgage (or perhaps get one) or credit card bill (I'm sure this would help with most).

A little tidbit:
Compared to the general population, excessive buyers have consistently been shown to possess lower self-esteem (e.g., Roberts 1998; Faber 2004). This finding is also consistent with the prediction based on the theory of self-defeating behavior. Impairment in self-esteem is generally accompanied by negative affect, such as anxiety and depression (Baumeister 1997). People are faced with two choices- either to accept the bad evaluation of themselves or to endure the negative feelings induced by decreases in selfesteem. Usually, people would be reluctant to revise their self-appraisal and would choose to linger with the negative feelings induced by decrease in self-esteem.
Agreed.

By the way, yea! Another Albertan.

I like the F10 from what I have seen and it seems like it would fit what I will need in my life given the changes on the way and my own desires. I anticipate that the earliest I will actually close a deal on one would be in Q4 2010 or so. Don't know if I will flip the guys at the dealership the bird since I know them, but will probably laugh off whatever exhorbidant price they have in mind for the first arrivals. My 323i is more than good enough in the mean time any way.
Appreciate 0