View Single Post
      03-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #87
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphirschwarz View Post
i think small changes are cool so pre-LCI owners dont feel their car is outdated. I would be upset if i bought a 55.000 euros car thats getting visually outdated after 3 years.
I agree. I got fed up with Mercedes' lack of confidence and foresight in their designs, completely overhauling their designs for mere facelifts. No luxury brand in the world who charges a premium should succumb to short-term mindfame of needing to change so quickly and drastically. I respect BMW for treating their 5er like a "perfect design", therefore not doing much to change it. It allows the car to age gracefully, shows confidence and talent by designers, and shows that they treat the model with respect and dignity. Mercedes has become the opposite these days (the facelift of the E-Class is a bad joke in this regard, completely undid every gimmick they initially designed the car around, therefore making it now look forcefully disjointed and desperately changed to hide the fact that they clearly didn't like what they did with the pre-facelift).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
Pre-LCI looks better in the opinion of this Architect. The extra crease from the headlights toward the grill looks awful and overly fussy. The top 2/3 of the front fascia should have been left alone. The bottomr third on LCI is OK. The front of the LCI looks dismal. It is an incoherent jumble of ideas now with a whiff of this idea and a whiff of that idea that is unrelated. It is the worst front design on a BMW in the BMW current line up. I may look at an Audi A7 since it is so bad.
I agree with you. I really hate the trend of "fussiness for the sake of fussiness" with no focus on harmony. The very reason I switched to BMW was because they're designing timelessly harmonious and sensical designs again. I'd hate if they start going the route of messy-designs going forward. That said, compared to other manufacturers, I still find the LCI traits the F10 has going on for it so far classy enough, relatively speaking, though not as clean and classy as the pre-LCI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
It's again a confirmation for the direction BMW design is heading for: nowhere at all. The fugly 1-series, 5GT, X6 and 3GT where no isolated incidents I guess. There is a pattern evolving and I don't like it.
Oh man, I hope that is not where they're going! I let M-B go since they've become a design team who seem like they party too hard then go straight to work to design their upcoming cars. I just really wrapped myself around BMW as I love that they're seeming to design elegant classics in comparison. However, I do not like the overly fussy front of the F30 (otherwise love the design), and of course think the 5 GT, F20, and X6 are amongst the ugliest cars.... ever.
Appreciate 0