04-13-2018, 06:31 AM   #3
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthureau View Post

Do you really put a Michelin Pilot 4S on a 535i? That seems to be the holy grail of summer tires, but wondering if it is too aggressive and wondering if they would be too twitchy on the highway.
I will be - I'm changing my summer set up from Goodyear LS2 runflats to PS4S conventional tires. The weather simply hasn't allowed me to put them on yet (ice storm coming this weekend).

I know it's overkill, but I have done sway bar upgrades and plan to do KWv3s, maybe this summer. I've been running UHP tires as summer packages on my daily drivers for decades now and I like the precision, confidence and loads of grip. Grip in the rain especially.

When pricing things out, I discovered that "acceptable" (something like Michelin Pilot A/S 3+) would run just over CAD$300 per corner, and I could have PS4S for CAD $380 per corner. For that difference I just went with the PS4S, especially considering that I heard that more recent Pilot A/S 3 were redesigned more towards winter again instead of being a pretty great, durable 3 season tire. I have dedicated winter tires so I don't need that as part of my summer tire equation at all.

I do wish that one could get new, but "obsolete" UHP tires like PS2s at a much lower price point, but I'm sure that would really eat into PS4S sales so it would never happen.
Appreciate 1
SC300T26.00