speuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 3.0d MSport / F23

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bickers1972 View Post
Ive just had my UK 530d GT in for its first service with 15k miles on the clock. Ive been advised that my rear tyres have 5mm tread depth however, they have both worn on the inside & require replacement as the cord is now showing & is dangerous. I understand the diagnosis however, I have driven the car carefully since i bought it as an ex BMW car with 6k on the clock last November. I have not driven through any major potholes & have always maintained the tyre pressures correctly. The service desk also suggested that as it is a heavy car, this could have contributed towards the excessive wear on the inside!

BMW uk have said that before they can decide if there is any responsibility from a warranty perspective, I need to have the 2 tyres changed & an alignment check carried out by them at a total cost of £1,030. Clearly this could be completed much cheaper at an independant tyre centre. Any advice on how I should approach this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ouch! I have 14k on the clock and about 5mm left, wear seemed reasonably even when I had a rear wheel off a couple of weeks ago (alloy repair), but I will take a closer look this weekend.

I don't see why BMW need to replace the tyres first. I would argue that they just need to check the alignment, hopefully there will be something wrong with the geometry otherwise the problem will continue with a new tyres. I think the BMW charge for alignment is about £140 which is outrageous but it might be worth it if you can pin part of the tyre replacement cost on them.

In the past I have found that sending a very polite email to Tim Abbott at BMW requesting that his customer service director look into the matter has the desired effect, but I would save that for a rainy day! See how you get on with the dealer route first.

Out of interest what size rims/ tyres do you have?
Good luck
2019 G05 3.0d MSport in Artic Grey/ Black 2015 F15 3.0d MSport/ 2014 F15 3.0d MSport, Carbon Black with Ivory White/ Black interior. 2015 f23 2 series convertible in Glacier Silver / Black. 2010 F07 5GT SE Sapphire Black with Ivory White/black interior
Appreciate 0