Lieutenant
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW

I posted this on 5series.net:
Quote:
This is my interpretation of the technology:

Adaptive Drive = Dynamic damping control + dynamic drive

dynamic dampling control: there are sensors on each suspension that taps the movement 400 times every second. The electronic is so fast that if your front wheel goes over a pothole, the rear wheel can adjust the shock absorber of the rear wheel just that you feel as little of the pothole as possible. Obvoiusly the softer the adjustment (comfort mode) the less fun you have while cornering. I assume in sports mode, the shock absorbers make the drive stiffer and harder giving you the feeling you have with a sports suspension such as the m-suspension.

Dynamic drive: same as it was with the e60. the car is stabilized when cornering so that you actively counteract body roll - basically, it avoids the car tilting to one one while cornering.

And so what is the m-suspension: a lowered springs (10mm) and stiffer shock absorbers. As you can see from the above, technically speaking you can emulate the m-suspension with the sports mode of the adaptive drive. Basically with that oyu get the best of both worlds: comfort and yet the sporty touch to your drive.

HOWEVER, there are people who argue that they are not willing to spend 4000 USD in EU for an option that gives you hard sporty suspension that you anyway want to have the whole time - these people try out the adaptive drive and claim that they anyway want to constantly drive in sports mode: if you anyway do that, it really does not add any benefit to take a 4000 usd option. I for myself opted for other extras and just took the "standard" m-suspension.

Insta: bmw.shitbox
Appreciate 0