11-26-2009, 02:58 PM   #21
sois
MasterDebater
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e90 M3, '11 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
On the first point, totally understood! Its good to have a relationship with the dealer (its what kept me from buying stateside despite temptation).

Agreed... I love my E90 also, and believe it or not, am also 6'4. It is overall pretty comfortable but I find that I struggle to get the perfect driving position without having some other downside, eg. people can't sit behind me, seat pad tilted all the way up so working clutch and throttle on hills can be a bit awkward and no upper back/shoulder support... alternatively, get rid of all other problems but have no mid-back support. I'm sure you know what I am talking about. Plus I have the sport suspension on my car and it can be stiff at times.

My old man has an E60 with comfort seats and it seems like it is a much better fit. I think the F10 will be even more so because it is a little more driver/sport focused, I think. I really seems like the Goldylocks solution... total balance.

I'll have to go over to the dealer when the get a 5GT and rattle their cage a bit. Should be good times!

I think that I will be lucky because I have a good buddy who is dying to take my very well maintained 323i off my hands
You summed it up just right regarding us tall guys trying to find a perfect driving position in a sport e90. If I crank the front of the seat up and pull out the support thing, roll back the seat and telescope the steering wheel all the way out, I'm comfy and feel supported but my lower back is flat and I feel like I should be reaching for the remote control rather than the shifter, and possibly having a nap shortly therafter. Needless to say it is neither a safe nor effective driving position. If I put myself in a good position for driving control I set myself up for sciatic pain, which I have never had before. I'm quite fit and flexible, so that is not a factor. With the 335 you really have to keep your foot light on the excellerator, combined with my position, creates a real PITA - literally!

I've driven a couple e90s with the lumbar support/premium package rather than the sport package and seemed to help to keep the back in alignment; keeping me more pain free. The upper body (shoulder) support is another story and is likely one that will be hard to fix. I have really broad shoulders and constantly feel like I am being pushed forward in the wrong areas around my shoulder blades and neck.

Anyway, as I said, the 5 seems to fit in many ways. I'm really hoping it will live up to my dream :-) I'll have to do my due dilligence and check out the merc, audi, infiniti, etc... although I'll admit it would take a lot to get me to be sans BMW.

Nice that you have someone lined up for your 323! I can't wait until the spring to have a good look at the new beast.
Appreciate 0